[Farmall] [AT] A Few Questions now Farmall Exhaust Lifts

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 05:28:19 PDT 2011

First off, if you want to know anything about the exhaust lifts, post on the
Yesterday's Tractors forum, under Farmall, and wait for Gene Bender to
answer.  He knows much more than anyone else on how to work on this lifts,
and if you post about exhaust lifts he is there with an answer.  He has a
couple working lifts on B's also.  Your best bet is to post there and speak
with Mr. Bender.

As to the hose: the hose on my lift is probably car heater hose.  I think
any hose that can take the pressure would work, because there is no constant
heat flowing through it.   You'll just want something to be able to take the
pressure and thick enough to resist a puncture.  If you are mounting the
lift on the cultivators (left side of the grill) the hose routes under the
gas tank.  When you put pressure on my hose, it tries to straighten out,
pushing against the point of the lift spring.  Your hose will want to do the
same thing, so get a hose that can take the point without breaking.

Don't get the hose too long!  I had a hose that was too long, and when I put
pressure on it, the hose pushed against my fuel strainer, resulting in a
nasty leak... the only other option is to strap the hose to the front of the
gas tank, but I didn't have too much success that way.

I used clamps (the same type used on the radiator hoses) to attach the hose
to the cylinder/control valve.

One piece of advice I'll pass on from Mr. Bender is for you to consistently
keep the control valve rockshaft oiled.  Otherwise the lift will let the
pressure out and not allow the pressure to build back up.  It will seem
tight, and it should be, but work it back and forth before using it and it
should be fine.  Replace the rubber seal in the control valve, I got mine
from Joe's Farmall, since it disintegrates over time.

Take the cylinder apart and oil the leather seal very well and reassemble
it.  This helps it work smoothly.  Put oil in through the hole on the top
every time you run the tractor; the manual says every day!  If you don't run
the tractor often, put oil in once a week or so.

Especially make sure the valve on the manifold works freely, otherwise you
will get no pressure.

Ben Wagner

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Craig Warner <craig.warner47346 at frontier.com