[AT] Motor challenges of the modern? variety

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Jul 6 07:39:54 PDT 2011

On 7/6/2011 8:16 AM, Grant Brians wrote:
>   see a possible Perkins 510 cubic inches Diesel V8 available without a
> clutch and wonder how they might work and whether the old IH Rockford hand
> clutch I have would bolt up - I doubt it. Also, I have found a Case 1370 as
> a possible PTO candidate at 144HP - a 1970s tractor without AC in the cab.
>       Any feedback?
>            Grant Brians

I have not heard much good about the Perkins V8. Massey used them in one
tractor model and the 860 combine. When they break I think they are
incredibly expensive to fix. The old Case 504 in that 1370 is a more
likely candidate for long term use I think. I have the same engine in a
lower horsepower version in my 2090 Case and at 6600 hours and over 30
years I have no complaints on the durability and reliability of that
engine.

Ralph in Sask.