[AT] Motor challenges of the modern? variety

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Wed Jul 6 07:16:17 PDT 2011

This might be an odd subject for the ATIS list, but here goes. I am in the
process of replacing a pseudo-modern (1970s/1980s) gasoline motor on a pump
with either a natural gas or diesel one. I have been looking high and low
for a PTO gearhead on the idea of a tractor hookup but found that they are
too expensive at the $5500 range. I should mention that the class on this
pump is near 100hp if powered by a motor rather than am electric motor.
Electricity is out because of the cost of hookup (6-10,000 dollars) and the
lengthy timing to get a connection thanks to deregulation and the laying off
of the utility staff and outsourcing. Don't get me started on the bad news
there!
     I see a possible Perkins 510 cubic inches Diesel V8 available without a
clutch and wonder how they might work and whether the old IH Rockford hand
clutch I have would bolt up - I doubt it. Also, I have found a Case 1370 as
a possible PTO candidate at 144HP - a 1970s tractor without AC in the cab.
     Any feedback?
          Grant Brians
          Hollister,California vegetable, nuts and fruit farmer
p.s. The addition of two ranches this year so far has definitely NOT
decreased my work load! But my biggest non-irrigation issue is definitely
personnel, as in finding the right sales people for farmers markets and
keeping paperwork done. Sigh.