[AT] JD 2010

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 3 05:08:17 PDT 2011

I just re-worked the brakes on my Deere combine.  The price for the discs
was ridiculous and they did not interchange with any other machine so
aftermarket was out of the question. I bought new springs and balls and
cleaned up the rest. Assuming there was a lot of asbestos in there I got out
all the loose stuff without breathing any more dust than possible. Then I
marked and cleaned up everything. The grooves on my discs were pretty good
other than a couple faces so I chiseled them out a little deeper--there was
still enough material bonded on the disc to allow me to do so without
cutting through. Then I sanded them on 80 grit paper on a surface plate
(again being mindful of the dust). Next I went around the braking surfaces
on the cast iron parts and ground off the wear edge--I tried to lap about a
1/4" onto where the braking surface was. On the center part I sanded it on
the surface plate as well. Put it all back together and got better brakes
than when I bought the combine almost 20 years ago.

John