[AT] was-Johnson CountyIndiana--now no-till

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 3 04:55:18 PDT 2011

Al, have you ever seen a no-till subsoiler? Case-IH makes them (I think in
partnership with DMI). I believe Deere makes them as well. I rented a
Case-IH  version a couple years ago. The salesman told me a deere 4020 could
pull 3 shanks. Our land was so tight I had to drop one of the shanks and
just run 2. Even then I stopped the tractor a couple times with the front
end 3 foot in the air. Not fun trying to back it down with 8" winged points
in the ground. When I read the fine print on the brochure it said it could
take up to 50 hp per shank. If I ever rent another one it will be with a big
enough tractor to pull it with ease. I think these would work real good in
the fall before you planted corn. Supposedly you can even run these across
hay fields but if your land is really compacted, its going to leave ridges.
I figure laying there over the winter would certainly help these settle. I
planted wheat behind using it. We tried to drive at an angle across it to
help maintain a more uniform planting depth. Fortunately it was a wet winter
and the ground was almost flat by June.

John