[AT] more on the blizzard of 78

Mike 1countryguy mdo_1 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 29 03:13:15 PST 2011

If some of u remember there was also very bad winter the year before (but the ground was completely frozen) so I could drive across a ditch with the twp grader and hit big drifts from the opposite side!  Not so in 78, the ditches were full of water and mud.

That morning the blizzard was being clocked at 80 mph in nw ohio and moving east.  At 8 am I was in a new IH scout with snow plow checking a twp rd for a trustee that had just had open heart.  I told him no way he should be out.

I checked on a lady that had ms and the backhoe had cleared a path to her house about 8ft wide!  I know the width, cause was driving thru that opening and the wind hit.  I had to climb out a window to see why I was stuck and feel the plow.  Then had to use seat belt on those slippery seats to to keep from sliding clear across to the other door.  The wind stopped and i got toward home a few miles the the wind hit again.  The main storm was still to the west of ashland, ohio and hitting Mansfield full force.

I got home and my dad was loading big round bales of hay in dump truck to go six miles south.  The twp truck stopped and they backed it in the open faced machinery shed and put the chains on the tires.  The the twp truck and plow cut a path south with my father following in (almost new to us) 72 IH 1700 grain truck.

They got to the other farm and the twp truck went to the drivers home.  Ater the storm finally passed is where the story i shared before started.  An open station 4 wheel loader cut a path for me to plow open to even get to the twp truck about 5 miles from the grader.  When we started plowing, we worked together, but never worked in the dark.  That was to dangerous and the wind chill would freeze you quickly.  Metal was so cold that I never touched it with out gloves.

Oh, only communication was the cb radio (when we could get reception)

Fast forward to today.  I have two big generators available and a new farm shop.  I am smart enough now that I have huge pile of wood and coal for my outdoor furnace and will be spending any snow time in ahot water floor heated shop (inside).  Working on a never ending assortment of White and MM tractors.