[AT] Blizzard of '78

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Jan 30 05:10:16 PST 2011

Al:
You are the first person to echo my sentiments of statistics.  I was in OK
state in 1973-75 I was told by my advisor that statistics would be an easy
course.  Every time he said something would be easy, I had problems.  I have
always been a black & white sort of person.  Right or wrong, it is or it
isn't.  Those random number tables at the back of the book were so foreign
to me.  I could nto believe that you coupld just open to any page and drop
your pencil and start getting numbers!!!!!!!!!   Later on in the course I
lost my random number book, and just made up the numbers.  I got the same
results....
That statistics course and the Agronomy 2124 (rocks & clods) were the 2
courses that ruined my 4.0 average.  I was working at a tractor shop and
hauling and trading used farm machinery while going to college, so I was
gone a lot.  The statistics prof was a real good guy, he was a young from
Australia, been here only 3 years..  I talked to him a lot after classes.
He had some great stories and I was the only one who wanted to listen to
them..  I told him I needed the credit to graduate since it was in my senior
year, and he said do not worry.  He gave me a C, and I mean Gave.....  I was
not so lucky with the Agronomy course.  I had to take a couple of
engineering courses at the local junior college in OKC to graduate.  Only F
that I ever had.

Cecil in OKla