[AT] Was: Re: Blizzard of '78 Now, recollections of NC.

Gene's Wowway e-mail gwaugh at wowway.com
Sat Jan 29 06:40:27 PST 2011

These mentions of NC State take me back to my childhood.  Dad's first job
after his PhD was with NC State---College, of course.  Started in either '47
or '48---was Head of the Ag Dept when we left in 1955 for a 2-3 year leave
of absence with the USAID in Peru.  Dad liked the overseas work, and also
felt a bit guilty about coming back and shoving the Acting Dept Head, a
personal friend, aside and resuming his position.  He was offered a job with
the Rockefeller Foundation and went on to spend over 20 more years in South
and Central America. becoming a pretty well known expert in tropical
agriculture, esp Dairy.  After retirement, he taught a number of courses in
Trop Ag at, I believe, the U of FL at Gainsville.

The two acres we used to own on Penny Road, right across from the Swift
Creek Baptist Church, look to be much the same as when we were there, but
the entire area has become heavily residential---Just to the east of us was
the Atkins farm; he had a peach orchard, I as a kid helped haul water for
his tobacco allotment---ahhh, the memories of the aroma of his smoke barn.
Penny Road was gravel when we moved there, but paved within the first couple
years.  I now remember the highway dept had a pneumatic traffic counter
across the road right at our mailbox---we kids must have put hundreds if not
thousands of vehicles on their count!!!  IIRC, the folks knew what we were
up to---they never TOLD us to hike the count, but I don't think they really
discouraged us, either.  I went to grades 2-6 in Apex---in those days, a
senior living near the end of the bus route drove the bus (the school was
grades 1 - 12).

We went through the sides of Hurricane Hazel here in late '54---no power for
some two weeks, no phone for more like three.  At least we had a dug well,
so we had water!!

Delving into memories is interesting---one recollection brings up yet
another!!

GeneW
Elgin, Illinois USA