[AT] Blizzard of '78

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 04:02:35 PST 2011

David, I would have only been in second grade but do remember a BIG storm
that hit one Sunday. I thought it was on the Sunday the Daytona 500 was
running, could have been another storm?
 Between'77- '79 we also had a massive ice storm here in NC. I remember
being without power for several days. The ice took down a huge cedar tree in
the front yard (about 30" at its base). My grandmother was 90+ and  in poor
health and we only had a fireplace and a portable generator big enough to
pull an electric frying pan. Dad and my uncle saw the line crews working and
went and explained the situation with my grandmother. We were moved up in
priority once the main line was back up. I remember them coming to throw the
rest of the tree that was still standing and then hooking the line back up.
A week or 2 later dad and my uncle got out their 2-man Poulan saw and cut
the tree up. Seems it was cut in short log lengths, don' know what became of
the lumber. That was the last time that saw was run until I got bit by the
old iron bug, now we have about 50 chainsaws.

John Hall