[AT] Springtime in Sask?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 28 13:27:44 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "charlie hill" <charliehill at embarqmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Springtime in Sask?

> Ralph did I understand that you were hauling drinking water?   Is water
> scarce enough or two deep or what is the reason you don't or can't have
> your
> own water well?   What do you do for washing and livestock water?
>
> Thanks for the video.  That was great.   As much as I dislike cold
> something
> really appeals to me about the way you live up there.  I guess it reminds
> me
> of the pace of life I knew as a child.

Charlie,/Joe, I'm glad you found the video of some interest. Its a bit
"ironic" that I sit on top of a huge aquifer that could supply a small
village with water and its only about 40 feet below the surface.
Unfortunately  my well water is so hard and mineral laden that it is
undrinkable unless you have a cast iron stomach. Expensive water treatment
systems could probably render it quite drinkable but I'm used to trucking
drinking water and its no great hardship considering I don't have to do it
very often. That community well I haul from has some of the best water
you'll ever find. Straight out of the ground with no iron taste or heavy
mineral load. Its a rare thing in this part of Sask.
My well is adequate for all other farm uses except washing. For that I have
a cistern that catches rain water off the house roof and you would have a
hard time finding softer water than that. No need to constantly buy bags of
softener salt and my water heater is about 45 years old so that says
something about water hardness.
I've put down a few more details of how it used to be in my grandfather's
day on a blog at
http://mindlessramblings-rlg.blogspot.com/2011/01/sunny-day-in-january.html

Ralph in Sask.