[AT] hello?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Jan 27 06:00:30 PST 2011

I don't know how things are in your area, but here in NJ, NOTHING gets
given away. Even scrap iron has to go to the semi-annual public auction.
There are two reasons for this: 1. to raise a little cash for the
department, and 2. to keep the employees from working deals with the
recipients.

The days of picking up a slightly used government tractor or truck for
next to nothing are long gone. They used to turn over machinery on a
schedule, regardless of the condition, but now they run them until they
cost more to repair than they are worth. One of my departments had an
old Dodge 4WD pickup that was so rusted that they had to tie the bed
together with rope to get it to the auction. We ended up getting back
$1000 for something that should have gone to the junkyard. Of course
these hulks are sold "as is, where is" with no claims that it will even
run.

Mike