[AT] 6 volt led headlamps?

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Wed Jan 26 10:11:33 PST 2011

I guess I would question what you say when you want "better" headlights. LED lights are very very good in some regards. Very low power requirements, little to no heat, and extremely long lasting. They are very bright to "look at" so they make good replacements for brake lights and such. They don't however "project" light as well unless they are of the high power variety and usually in a housing designed with LEDs in mind (ie typically expensive).

I would be hesitant to say they would be "better" than what you currently have (unless the bulbs are burned out) if you're putting them in the tractors original housing/glass. However with the different technologies and such LEDs are continuing to evolve.

I've bought some to see what they would be like and have found mixed results. If I were putting it on a running tractor with working generator I'd personally lean to standard bulbs. Besides, if you plan to upgrade to 12v at some point then the lights may not work after the upgrade (double check their working voltages).

Brad