[Farmall] Progress on my Int. 184 engine overhaul

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jan 26 05:05:48 PST 2011

Well, Carl, that was pretty much the kind of discussion I was referring
to when I was describing when the issue of "to hone or not to hone, that
is the question" came up with regard to the old C-60 engine. I did run a
bore gauge through the cylinders first and all 4 were within .002" up
and down, front to back, and sided to side.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_184/bore-gauge.html>
They were all VERY smooth/glazed. My thoughts ran along the lines of
"this is an old long stroke low compression engine that will get used
for maybe 2 hours a week during the summer grass cutting season. This
isn't a long haul high compression diesel truck, locomotive, or skid
steer that might run wide open around the clock for who knows how many
hours a year". The service manual says "hone the cylinders", and, quite
frankly, I don't think it really would matter whether I honed the
cylinders or not in this situation. Did I hone the cylinders "properly"?
Probably not. I used a lot of oil and a slow speed 1/2" drill, running
the hone up and down in a constant motion and for not very long. I think
what I did was mainly break the glaze and not take any metal off.

Mike

.