[Farmall] Progress on my Int. 184 engine overhaul

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 25 17:51:33 PST 2011

Hey Mike, you are NOT being lazy by leaving the mains alone. There have been
a ton of tractor engines rebuilt this way. I was always taught if the bore
and rod journals were in spec. and nothing is knocking, then change the
rings and rod bearings and grind the valves if overhead. Anything else
requires so much labor that then you replace and re-machine everything, no
questions asked. We tried to cut corners once on one of dads tractors (454
IH) and put in new pistons and rod bearings. We knew the bores were out of
spec. 2 years later we COMPLETELY rebuilt that engine. We knew better and
did it anyway.

I always like to look at the date on the back of IH rod inserts to see about
when the last time the engine was rebuilt. You probably know but in case
others do not IH offers .002 under bearings for a slightly worn standard
crank.

John Hall