[Farmall] shop time

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 23 06:40:05 PST 2011

You'll get a bunch of different opinions on the questions your are asking,
that's for sure.

As for me, I'm not a fan of 12 volt conversions. And in the words of Forrest
Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

Fixing an engine with a broke crank is just a matter of a massive rebuild,
except you need another crank. You'll have to pull the engine and completely
disassemble it. There are no short-cuts here. All the machine work will be
the same.

You might save money when rebuilding the head if one of the 2 you have only
needs facing and the valves ground. If the valves, spring, and guides are
shot, you are going to spend big money on the head. For a show tractor, I'd
have the machine shop work with the best of what I had. If what you have
won't get you by for your purposes, a decent shop will let you know. If you
can't find one that is trustworthy in your area, let me know and I'll send
you to one in Durham that you can trust.

 As for the hydraulics, call a salvage yard and ask what one is worth. I'm
guessing $1-200. Sometimes these units get an internal crack in the casting
and are junked, but not often. Completely rebuilding one is expensive. I
think the 4 boots were right at $100 for the last set we bought--if yours
are leather then they are the originals most likely, the replacements have
been rubber for quite some time. Then there is the O-ring kit. I don't think
the nylon vales or the springs are included in that--inquire at the parts
counter. Hopefully your filter hasn't disintegrated--dented and wrinkled up
is normal. The last one we opened up had to have a new filter, it was pretty
expensive. Its a good chance both your units are fine. I wouldn't do much
more than change the fluid and clean the filter and just give them a try. If
you have fast-hitch, hook it up to something and give it a workout. If while
idling the lift lets down and then jumps back up and keeps repeating this
process, I think that is caused by broke springs and damaged nylon
valves--I'd have to check with dad to be certain. At least with that repair
you only have to remove the head off the system. Still a lot of work but a
whole lot less in parts. If one of them is really oily on the side the
rockshaft is on, might as well plan on a full rebuild or a messed up paint
job!

John Hall