[AT] back to business

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sat Jan 22 20:46:36 PST 2011

Magneto work is one of my favorites.   Carburetor work is my least
favorite.  I worked on a DLTX John Deere B carb  on and off for week
because it wouldn't idle but would stay running throttled up.  I worked
on this until I realized it has a small crack in the casting where the
idle circuit passed close to the outside.  That hairline crack kept it
from idling.    Brazed it up and at least it idles now.   But sheer luck
allowed me to see it.  No amount of effort and smarts can overcome
"invisible" .   It just isn't like a magneto where you can rule out
components and test as long as you understand the principles.  Carbs
seem like black magic.   You do all the rights things and they still can
make a fool out of you.

The rotator cuff surgery really put me behind so Lord knows when I'll
get around to working on tractors.  My wife has a an old Mercedes and
her transmission is next on my list and the tranny is on the bench.   It
just needed a new clutch but I am resealing the tranny while I am at it
.  As for tractors and engines I am looking for an engine show in the
next few months because it seems like shows are the only time I get to
work on either!

And Charlie - thanks for the video.   Being able to so closely integrate
and use multimedia like this video clip is one of great benefits of the
forums.

PS:  Still testing and tweaking security settings.    So the services on
the server will come on line and offline from time to time for very
short periods of time while I test.  Just a heads up.

Spencer