[Farmall] shop time

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 20:20:47 PST 2011

When it comes to casting codes the resident experts are generally Jim Becker
and Al Jones.

If you don't have a parts book you can get to them online at Case-IH. Maybe
that can tell you of any problems you might encounter changing engines.  I
can't ever recall swapping engines in anything other than a Cub. I know
we've swapped out some flywheels and I'm thinking the last one of those was
a bit different from the one we put back in, but it may have been out of a
number series.

Rule of thumb when we are ordering internal parts for one of those engines
is to get the number of the piston and the number off an old bearing. I'm
pretty certain that if you ever go into the hydraulic reservoir you need to
first check the part number on it as well so you will getting parts for the
right one. Same rule for the carb as well, I'm thinking there are 5
different possibilities on that, some may be replacement carbs.

Check with Fitts in Cascade VA for a grill. Also call Greens salvage down
east (Freemont I think).

How perfect do you want the grill anyway? I spent a couple hours hammering
out one that was on a working tractor that had been rolled over and it came
out pretty good. Now if you are building a show machine, that's another
story!

John