[AT] back to business

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 17:30:41 PST 2011

Well, with the lists back working maybe folks would like to chat old iron.

  I spent part of the afternoon working on a Case magneto off a model C (or is it a CC). It came to me in pieces so it took a little bit to figure out how it went back together. Case used a heavy felt seal to keep the impulse clean. While this might be a good idea on a working tractor, tractors that get abandoned outside for 40 years are a different matter. This thing managed to keep so much moisture in the impulse housing that one of the pawls locked up and the seal itself is severely deteriorated. I never could get the back half of the impulse off (you need a special puller) but I was able to free up the pawl. Now I've got to attempt to straighten up the threads on the shaft so I can get the nut back on. Replaced the primary wire and cleaned up several corroded connections and decided to give it a test. Without the cap on it I'm getting over 5/16 spark on impulse. As soon as the owner brings me the cap I'll give it a few minutes on the mag tester and make sure everything else is working OK.

So folks, what old iron have you been tinkering with lately?

John Hall