[AT] This might come in handy while shopping for tractor parts

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Jan 19 08:52:49 PST 2011

Having spent much of my career in the Bar Code Industry I can comment on this a bit. First when discussing Bar code one needs to identify the version of Bar Code under discussion. In this case UPC is being discussed but there are several versions of UPC Bar Code. In the USA and Canada the 12 digit version (A) is used along with several shorter versions for specific products, priced imbedded codes or variable weight products.  Libraries and books have a version also. But the most generally common version in the US (version A) is the 12 digit version. It Does Not contain a country of origin identifier imbedded in the code. There is a version however that does have an imbedded country of origin in it and that is the 13 digit version called EAN (European Article Numbering) which obviously is used in Europe. I'm not up to date on whether the convention is being followed religiously (retired for 12 years) as to whether it is country of manufacturer or home country of seller.

The UPC code is not a very strong error checking code and succeeds in the grocery market w/o too many reading errors only because the code the scanner reads also must be on file on the checkout scanning system's hard disk. This reduces checkout errors to a level acceptable to users as well as customers. There are more read errors in the checkout lanes than what the industry prefers to talk about.

That level of error in reading is not acceptable for industrial applications so other codes other than UPC were invented with stronger error checking such as Interleaved 2 of 5, Code 11, Code 39, etc. Code 39 was widely used in industrial applications because it is a fully alphanumeric code and has a very low error rate whereas UPC is numeric only with a higher read error rate. The UPC code needed to make some compromises to allow ease of printing on multiple food product packaging materials, shapes and sizes. In many cases industrial and some consumer applications have moved to using Higher Density square codes. Where considerably higher density of information within the code is achieved.  Now, industry is moving to RFID, Radio Frequency Identification where a tag is attached to higher value products and is read at a distance using RF signals. The tags have dropped in cost over the last few years but are still too expensive to be used in low cost products such as those sold in a grocery store.

I was Director of POS operations for a company that installed the second grocery store UPC scanning system in the US in around 1973/74 time frame. NCR was the first company to install a UPC Grocery Store scanning system in the US at about the same time frame. At that time we were really pushing the state of the current technology and things didn't always go as planned. Both scanning as well as computer technology has improved dramatically since then.  The capability improved dramatically quickly but something unusual happened to slow things down in the Grocery industry for a while. This only time in my life where I have seen this happen. The labor unions and the consumers formed a coalition to try to stop the implementation of UPC code and bar code scanning in grocery stores. Several false rumors were started that confused the consumers about how accurate the systems were going to be and how much the technology was going to reduce labor requirements within the grocery industry. It took a few years to settle out and then there was a rush to implement scanning by all grocery stores.

Grocery stores work on very thin profit margins so even a small improvement in product pricing accuracy at the checkout stand has a dramatic impact on the stores profitability.  Reducing a thing called "under-rings" at the checkout stand would sometimes double store profits and pay for the scanning equipment in just a few short months. In the 1973/74 time frame each checkout lane with scanning cost about $80,000

Dean VP
Apache Junction, AZ

"If pilots' vision were as bad as economists', Amtrak would be profitable."