[AT] Technology Creep

Howard Weeks weeksh at att.net
Tue Jan 18 09:13:48 PST 2011

Roy,

You are right - times and things are changing.  Sometimes, there are
substantial improvements to be had; but, there are always "gotchas"
if you look behind all the rhetoric, etc.

These companies have to keep growing that revenue stream someway!

But, I am comitted to fighting them all the way.  I am in the process
of changing my computers over to Linux and dumping MS for that
reason.  A cell phone (to me) is just that - a box that I "talk" on,
not surf the web on or for texting.  That is what I use the table top
computer at home for.  If it gets bad enough, I will just go back to
the way I survived before computers.  Guess it is obvious that I am
getting old and maybe crotchity!

As others have said, we are rapidly moving toward a throw away
society - regardless of cost.  I continue to be amazed at what people
will pay for services and related "stuff" without ever questioning
whether there is "value" there to justify the price.  The auto
industry is a prime example of that.

I really do believe in the potential value of all this new technology
that is coming our way.  But I will never buy a lot of it under the
business model that it being marketed under.

Keep working on that W-4, it will still be repairable when all this
so called modern and better stuff being sold today will have
disappeared into the dump.

Emough of my ramblings!

Howard in GA