[AT] Atis outage - the details

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 18 09:58:20 PST 2011

You're right, John.  Two of the Federal censuses are already inaccessible because of that (1950 and 1960.)  It really surprises me when professional archivists give me a blank look when I ask them about media migration for digital archiving systems.  Last summer, I talked with an archivist in Chicago who had "solved the problem" by simply resolving that she would archive nothing that wasn't originally printed on paper!  I was tempted to ask her what rock she had been hiding under for the last few decades?

As much as we may dislike having to look at what the Federal government does and following their lead, they actually have more practice and experience at this than almost any other source.  The Hollerith code for punched computer cards was developed for the 1890 Federal census.  Never mind that that census is the only one that is COMPLETELY lost to us -- because it burned!

Larry