[AT] Atis outage - the details

Howard Weeks weeksh at att.net
Mon Jan 17 10:02:43 PST 2011

There has been a movement among those that sell "services" to us
computer users to get funtionality and data off our PCs and into
their paid (off site to us) domain.

Common examples include:

web based email,
offsite backup,
photo storage,
all types of offsite serving of applications and related data,
and many others.

That is why mainframes died off in the 80s when the PCs became
affordable for the average user.  The mainframe world was not
responsive to the average user and the cost was prohibitive.

To the extent that people fall for this sales pitch, they should
watch their billfolds very carefully.  In addition, they will have
very limited ownership and control of their data that is offsite.

I understand that there are real advantages to some of these examples
but I will not use them because of the ownership and control issues.

There is no way in hell that I am going to move in that direction.

Howard in GA

On 17 Jan 2011 at 9:27, Larry Goss wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation, Spencer.  All of us who have had anything
> to do with IT over the years have gone through a similar problem a
> least once.  When you ask a company when or if an upgrade is available
> and you get "No" for an answer, you are never ready for the problems
> that result.
>
> I heard an interesting discussion on NPR yesterday called "Digital
> Everafter."  It was a discussion of the legal and logistical problems
> that inheritance places on sites that store photos, videos, and other
> forms of information on-line.  As with all things in our digital
> society, it's not as simple as pulling the plug or canceling an
> account and password.
>
> Larry

Howard Weeks
Harlem, GA