[AT] Atis outage - the details

Recentjester at aol.com Recentjester at aol.com
Sun Jan 16 19:16:02 PST 2011

glad to see yah back. even though my project allis is still goin

In a message dated 1/16/2011 9:14:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,
yostsw at atis.net writes:

First -  I appreciate all the "Thank you"s - They do mean a lot.

Here is the  full story, for anyone who is interested in ugly technical
details.....

The server went down the evening of 1-3, but  interestingly so did my
home computer (on the same power  backup).   The power backup was fried,
but the house computer  came back up when plugged into the wall.   The
ATIS server did  not.   I replaced the ATIS server power supply about a
year ago,  so I figured the cheap Chinese replacement couldn't handle
whatever the  power backup did.    So I replaced the power supply again,
but  the server would only boot intermittently.    After a few of these
power cycles, it wouldn't even boot.   In the afternoon of 1-4 I  took it
to the local techs and a quick check of the motherboard confirmed  the
motherboard was dead.

To be honest, I don't know if the power  backup fried the board, or a bad
power supply fried the power backup and  the board.  In the end, it
didn't matter.   It was  dead.

Thank Goodness data was OK, as disk was good.

I bought  a new server on 1-5, installed the old drive along the new one,
and began  the process of re-building.  It only took me a few days to
install a  new operating system, get my security, BIND and mail services
running.  But I ran into serious problems with the mailing list
software(Mailman).     So I punted Mailman for the moment  and worked on
everything else.  Within another day I had web services  up.   BTW - as a
tip to all the other systems folks reading  on:   The latest version of
Apache and PHP do NOT work together  on Fedora 14 machines.  Just a word
to the wise  (-:   Within another day I had the database software
upgraded and that meant I  could upgrade the bulletin board software and
get that running.  So  for all intents and purpose the system was up in
less than a week; except  for Mailman.

While I luckily had a vacation day 1-4,  the rest of  the time I am
working, and commuting, a total of 12 hours a day.  So  by now, I am
running on about 4 hours a sleep a night.

The mailing  list software was another matter.   The language Mailman
uses is  called python.  Unfortunately, they never updated the current
version  of Mailman to use the most current versions of python.   The
previous versions of Mailman obviously didn't support the new pythons
either, so downgrading python was the only answer.  Unfortunately a  lot
of system utility, scripts, and other software use python, and many of
them make use of the newer features in the latest versions of the
language.  So downgrading ended up not being a possibility.   I was
stuck - no way to downgrade either software, and no upgrades  that solved
my problems were available.

So my only option was to  run  parallel copies of python.   So I rounded
up an old  copy of python that was compatible with Mailman and built and
installed  that in a completely separate directory structure, outside of
normal  system paths.   Then I modified all the headers, make files,
import statements, etc in Mailman to use that parallel copy.  At this
point, Mailman was working but required extensive additional tweaks
inside a bunch of other utilities it includes.  In addition, there  were
some re-configurations of both the old version of python and  Mailman.
This ended up taking me a few days.

In the end - the  system is a BUNCH faster, very, very up to date, and
should serve us for  years to come.

I think I am going to get more sleep  now.....

Spencer