[AT] Yellow Farmall now cold starting

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Jan 3 18:32:49 PST 2011

charlie hill wrote:
> Hmmm,  I guess I really did get the best one ever built!  Mine was
> completely trouble free.  I've got one more story about it when the water
> pump went out.  I had driven it to Buffalo NY from NC to pick up a friend.
> I laid down and slept 4 hours and drove back home.  Just before daylight, on
> the eastern Shore somewhere in Southern Delaware or MD I got sleepy.  The
> other occupants of the car, my friend and two small children were asleep.  I
> stopped in the middle of the road.  It was just coming daylight and there
> was not another soul moving in that small town on Sunday morning.  I heard
> something rattling in the motor.  I cut it off, reached down and grabbed the
> radiator fan and I could wiggle it half an inch or more.  I knew immediately
> that the bearings in the water pump were shot.  I checked the water and it
> was still full.  There was no sign of a leak.  I got back in and started
> limping along for about 40 miles or so then stopped and checked it again.
> It was still full of water and the play was no worse or better.
> I kept going.  Of course those of you familiar with that area know that I
> had to go over the Chesapeake Bay Br idge/Tunnel that is 13 (I think) miles
> long.  When I got out the other end I was in Virginia Beach and it was early
> morning.   We stopped at a McDonalds for breakfast and coffee.  I figured
> I'd have to find someone there to fix it.  I checked it again,  still no
> worse, still full of water.   I decided to keep going because I knew if I
> could get over into NC that I knew folks along the way.  Well to make a long
> story a little shorter I drove that thing all the way home,  more than 200
> miles after I found the problem.  It was still full of water when I got home
> and the car never overheated.  The next morning I dropped it off at a
> radiator shop near where I worked.   I told the guy how lucky I was to get
> it home.  When I went back to pick it up that afternoon the guy said "you
> don't know HOW lucky you were".  I asked what he meant.  He said that when
> he removed the water pump it fell apart in his hands!
>
> I guess the good Lord was looking out for me.
>
> Charlie

I remember hauling 24 sacks of portland cement in the back of our 72
Vega and Later brining home a full load of concrete blocks as well! I
hauled a LOT of crap in the back of the 74 I had. I also had a few other
as did a lot of the family. I had, Vegas, Monzas and one that I really
went over.
 It was a '78 Olds. Starfire GT that came from the factory with a 231 V6
in it with a 4 speed. When I finished it up it still had a 4 speed but
it also has a VERY warm alloy big block under the hood, dry sump, turbo
charged and injected. Full frame with roll cage that was hidden by
gutting the interior and forming the bars so they could be welded inside
of the factory pillar after the welds had been split so the pillars
could be modified. When it was finished the only clue outside was the 5
lug rims and the MUCH wider than stock rear tires.
Inside it looked stock except for the dash having a couple digital
gauges where other models had idiot lights and the racing harness points
on the floor.

--
Steve W.