[AT] OT: Chevy Chevette (was Re: Yellow Farmall now cold starting

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Mon Jan 3 10:33:00 PST 2011

Y'all,

The Chevettte thread has been a hoot.  Used to rent cars a lot in sales
jobs, and the mention of the Vega brought that back like a shot.   Any
time you rented at the Memphis airport and any counter person said all
they had left was Vegas - way too often - it always meant that
everything else from a medium truck to a go-cart on the airport had been
rented or stolen and that you had a date with one ugly gal or would be
walking.  I used to deliberately try out different cars for a little
spice on trips until a blind date with a Datsun B-210 in Minneapolis
broke me of the habit.  The car was as indestructible as a pre-60s
tractor, but rode like a roller skate with a napkin for a seat cushion
and I ended up having to drive it long enough to rate the tire life.  On
the flip side, rides in three rental Camrys this year ended with talking
my wife into buying one .  It has been one sweet machine for the bucks.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas