[AT] Oil and cold weather.

Ron Cook rlcook at longlines.com
Sun Jan 2 09:27:26 PST 2011

Gene,
     The 124s used to come in and out of Sioux City Airbase frequently
when they were in service.  Nice sounding machines!  I always pitied the
poor guy sticking out of the top giving taxiing observations when it was
below zero.  I did witness the heaters working on the B-29s and B-50s.
The C-124s never stopped long enough to cool off, I guess.  Or they kept
them running.  I did witness a jeep yanking on a rope to start a B-29.
Now that was interesting, to say the least.  They had every Herman
Nelson and every ground power unit on the base that would go on that
thing and still had to start #4 with the jeep.  It was cold!  Waaaay
below zero.  I am guessing it was Jan 1957 or 8.  They should have just
parked some of the F-86s in front of the thing and warmed up the whole
airbase!
     Preheating is the way to go, and I think your idea of doing it when
below 35 is wise.  I have started many flat engines at colder temps than
that without preheat but it is really hard on things, I think.  Plus, if
you get a miss start, you frost the plugs and now you are just sitting
until something warms the cylinders or you pull the plugs.  With light
enough oil,(65) I have started R-985s and R-1340s down at around 15 to
20F without preheat, or very little preheat.  Danged hard to get them
going, and impossible to keep the oil pressure below redline during
warmup.  Not a very good practice.
     I still like waiting until spring. :-)
      Are you referring to the Harold Johnson that did the airshows with
the Ford Tri-Motors?

Ron Cook
Salix, IA