[AT] Oil and cold weather.

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sun Jan 2 06:00:04 PST 2011

    Ron;

    Never flown behind a round motor. I did one time get a ride with Harold
Johnson in his Waco. Probably the smoothest pilot I have ever flown with.

    Biggest engines I have flown were the GTIO 520's in a Cessna 421. Very
temperamental engines and very critical on EGT and CHT temperatures. I
really liked flying the 340's. Lot simpler systems.

    I always preheat the IO 360 Continental in my Maule at less than about
35 degrees. Use a forced air kerosene heater at the rear cowl outlets so the
oil gets the heat first.

    Our C-124's were a challenge to get started in cold weather and required
2 heat carts with dual outlets to warm the engines. With ground power we
could heat the cabin with the gasoline cabin heaters to a tolerable
temperature while waiting for the engines to warm.

                    Gene