[AT] Image from the past

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Feb 24 11:34:10 PST 2011

Lucile Monson was going through some old photos and came across one that
Cecil took and labeled. She thought I might be interested and scanned it
in and sent it to me as an email attachment. I sent a note to Jim Becker
and Steve Offiler to see if they could pinpoint the date and location.

I put the image up in my Cecil Monson album:
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/cecil_monson_1930-2005/portland-show.html>

Steve replied:

 > For a while there, I was getting out to Portland every other year.  I
 > believe, no actually I am pretty sure, it was '96, '98, '00.  By the
 > time '02 rolled around I was very busy with finishing up the
 > renovation of my house in Scituate RI...
 >
 > I do not believe this image was from '96, mostly because I drove out
 > that year with Jim Thomson and I believe he'd also be in the shot.
 > That leaves '98 and '00.

Jim replied:

 > That picture was taken at the Portland IN show, August of whatever
 >  year it was.  I have pictures of my own from 2001.  I think I have
 > been there twice. The first one was before I had a digital camera,
 > thus no easy to find and date pictures of my own from the first
 > time.  However, I believe my first time was 1998.  Since this group
 > shot is not in the same location as my group shot from 2001, I think
 > this was 1998.
 >
 > 1998 was the year of the well traveled ATIS boxes.  Here are a couple
 > of Dean Vinson's pages, one from Portland that year and the other
 > travels of a box.  You will even find yourself on the second page.
 > http://www.vinsonfarm.net/portland98_atis.html
 > http://www.vinsonfarm.net/atisbox.html

So, if anyone can nail down the actual date, let me know so I can
correct the record. And if anyone wants their very own copy, send me a
note off-line to <mikesloane at verizon.net>. I have asked Lucile for a
little bit larger scan without the glass and frame, so I may be able to
replace the image with a better one in the future.

Mike