[AT] OT for the northern guys

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Feb 18 07:13:26 PST 2011

On 2/18/2011 8:14 AM, Charlie V wrote:

> I have never been able to see them from this location South of Lake
> Ontario.  I believe that is partly due to the metropolitan area North
> of here.  Of the twenty crow miles from here to the Ontario shore
> line, approximately ten of it is metropolitan.  Often at night the
> lower quadrant of our northern sky will be lighted from reflection of
> the "city lights".  I think Ralph gets a good look at them from his
> location.

I don't know if I have just not been paying attention or if this is a
period of very low activity of the northern lights. I don't recall
seeing them for a long time. It used to be a common occurence here.
Since the dusk to dawn light has replaced the old switchable yardlight
its harder to see the northern lights from the yard due to "light
pollution". If I can remember I'll flip the breaker tonight and check
out the sky for aurora borealis.

Ralph in Sask.