[AT] Talking about shops/sheds

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Tue Feb 15 18:11:43 PST 2011

    Al

 My shop has an all position 60,000 BTU 90 plus propane furnace. My shop is
block construction, about 24'X 30'. I mounted it on its side about 5 1/2
feet above the floor. Leaves room below it for storage. Provides plenty heat
even on the coldest days. I keep the shop set to 42 degrees, so nothing ever
freezes and warm enough fot those short time jobs.

    My shop is actually an old sheep barn with a full hayloft. I insulated
the trusses with fiberglass and then paneled them with white tile board.
Have 6 lights up there and a mouse can't hide in a corner anywhere. I use
the loft for parts and supply storage. It stays above freezing just from the
rising heat from below.

    As for the floor in the parking area of your barn, I would just use
crushed stone. A coarse#4 or #8 base and a top coating of fine gravel with
dust. Makes a good solid floor that isn't bothered by a few oil spills and
the water will drain through the gravel. Soak it down real good and pack it
with a lawn roller.

                Gene