[AT] Sleet

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Feb 2 08:57:58 PST 2011

We had the lightning and thunder with the sleet.  It snowed here until about
2pm yesterday with a 40mph wind most of the day.  I had ewes lambing in 3
diferent barns and had to move the snow out to get to one of them.  It was a
shed about 3 ft tall and they stayed warm, but the drifts went ove the top
of the open end to the east and they could not get out.  I had 4 to have
lambs in all of this.   I got out the old Cat 944 and moved the snow with it
until I got within 2 ft of the snowed in barn and the filters stopped up.
Don't know if it is gelled fuel or ice in the lines.  That loader last had
fuel put in it in the summer.  At about 5 I had to quit I was so cold I was
shaking all over.  Wet feet and face freezing from the North Wind.  We tried
to attach the loader bucket to the Belarus but the quick attach latches were
never greased and they were frozen with Ice.  So another day will begin here
to try to thaw things out and get some water to those old girls.  Haven't
assessed the damage as I can barely move from walking through 4 ft drifts
yesterday.  The snow drifted from a 1 ft drift to a 4 ft in about 1 hour
yesterday.  Wind is still really cold and the double wide i use as an office
is about 68 deg with the furnace on 72.  The drafts are getting worse....
Even with the skirting....

Cecil in OKla