[AT] Stationary engine recordings

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 2 07:37:24 PST 2011

On 2/2/2011 3:20 AM, Chuck Bealke wrote:
> On 2/1/2011 9:54 PM, Ralph Goff wrote:
>> http://www.nfb.ca/film/grain_elevator#
>>
>> Interesting video of a Sask Wheat Pool grain elevator and its workings.
>> Including showing the start up procedure on a big old single cylinder
>> Ruston Hornsby engine that powers the machinery in the elevator. Dated
>> about the mid 1970s judging by the tilt hood IH Loadstar in the video.
>>
> Ralph,
>
> Thank you for sharing the history in that film site.  That elevator film
> took me right back to a Fall day in the 50's, when I was at a similar
> elevator in Missouri.  A farmer friend (and later my boss) was clearly
> motivating me to get back into his grain truck.  I had come to the
> elevator with him in the truck earlier and was in it while it was
> weighed full - just before I jumped out to ogle new tractor literature
> in an adjoining office at the elevator, where Case equipment was sold.
> (It seems anytime I drooled over tractor brochures at that age, minutes
> passed like seconds regardless of how few trucks were waiting to be
> weighed, position of the sun or other factors.)    To get my attention
> it was explained in a measured tone that unless I returned at once to my
> seat before the truck got weighed empty, I would be effectively sold to
> the elevator for about $3.00 times my weight in bushels.
>
> Like the elevator film, the Hutterites story at the same site was also
> part IH truck ad, well filmed and narrated, and could have been recorded
> in Kansas.  Working at Hesston (Kansas hay tool mfg.) in the mid-70s, I
> had always heard about the Hutterites in that area.  The fine film just
> explained the "rest of the story" for me on the industrious and unique
> sect  40+ years later.  It also had a couple of nice Massey-Harris
> tractors in it.  Guess I'm still drooling, even though the same tractors
> and kid have aged.  Now the darn days go by like seconds.
>
> Chuck Bealke
> Dallas, TX

Chuck, glad you enjoyed the films. I have'nt yet watched the Hutterite
film but will now have to check it out thanks to your review. I know I
saw some interesting old farm equipment on a few others including a
15-30 McCormick pulling a one way tiller (disc plow).
As a kid growing up in the 2 channel universe, CBC represented half of
all the tv we watched and NFB films were regularly seen so this is a bit
of a flashback for me watching them now.
Just for fun, heres another one of my favourites, a music video with a
band you may not have heard of. If the Great Western Orchestra does not
get your toe tappin I'll be surprised.
http://www.nfb.ca/film/cactus_swing

Ralph in Sask.