[AT] Honda 5518

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Dec 5 17:26:49 PST 2011

Phil Vorwerk wrote:
> Hi Guys -
>
> I've been re-evaluating how I've been doing my snow removal at home, and
> started looking for a compact utility tractor with a blower.  I was cruising
> Craigslist and ran across a Honda 5518 that looks appealing, but I really
> don't know much about them.  4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer, pto's front and
> back, cat 0 three point hitch.  Comes with a deck and a two stage snow
> blower.  The idea of being able to add a tiller or a loader is appealing - I
> have a pair of JD 425's, but I feel like they are a little small for that
> kind of duty.
>
> Anybody have any experience with these?  How many hours would be a "lot" of
> hours?  I know they haven't made them since the 90's, so I'm wondering if
> parts are a problem at all.  My other option is to put a blower on one of my
> John Deere 425's, but looking this I can pick up the whole tractor for not
> much more than it would cost me to pick up a JD blower.  I'm thinking that
> if parts are still available they can't really be much worse than buying
> them for a JD, other than I can't just stop at my local JD dealer to pick
> them up.
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Phil Vorwerk
>
> Courtland, MN

Only made for 2-3 years. Real PIA to change over from any mounted
attachment to another (parts of the frame get unbolted so you can attach
sections for each attachment. I know someone who has one and he REALLY
hates changing it around to the point that he bought a different brand
to blow snow with. He also complains that parts are VERY hard to find
and when you can get them they are expensive. PTO belt set was over 100
bucks. It also uses a lot of custom parts. Stuff that doesn't
interchange with normal stock.

It really is a middle step between your 425 and a true compact.

--
Steve W.