[AT] Welders

henry miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Dec 4 17:10:26 PST 2011

Don't even think about anything other than a stick welder, unless you have taken half a year or more of classes.

I have seen a lot of beautiful welds done with MIG: none had any strength. This is a reflection on the lack of experience of the on the part of persons doing the welding.

With a stick welder you can practice a little, look up the settings and get an ugly weld that will hold.

Tig is for special metals that few people bother with. It is a slow process. Nice to have, but until you have had instruction you won't know enough to use it. (Tig is also slow, but when you need it you can't use anything else)

Lincoln and Miller both make great welders. Buy from a store you want to support.

Mike M <meulenms at gmx.com> wrote:

Hi all,
I'm in the market for a welder and would be interested in getting opinions as to what type to get. It would get used for machinery repair (tractor, brush hog etc). I was looking at some of the MIG welders at TSC the other day, and they looked nice, but were pricey if they are able to weld thicker steel. I've never used a MIG welder, but have used an arc welder in the past. An arc welder seems like a simpler choice, but I would be interested in other opinions.
Thanks,
Mike M