[AT] snowblower chain drive

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Dec 4 07:54:05 PST 2011

On 12/4/2011 6:54 AM, Dick Day wrote:
> Last year, I bought a 3-pt 72" snow blower. I had a friend come over and get
> it ready for me.  This year I got it mounted and greased and noticed that
> there is about 1.5" of slop in the chain drive.  That seems like a lot of
> vertical movement for a chain that is not all that long.  It's not to the
> point of hitting or dragging on any part of the frame.  Is it okay to leave
> it like that or should I adjust the idler sprocket and remove some of the
> movement?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dick

My six foot Mckee snowblower usually has a very slack chain driving the
auger. I still have the original chrome chain from 1975 so it must have
been good quality. I don't like to run them too tight as I recall the
chain tightening up itself while working in wet snow .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZAp8DAPvkU

Ralph in Sask.