[AT] Grain Augers

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Dec 31 14:31:14 PST 2011

Charlie, next time you are up my way stop in Duke Homestead. They have
practically anything used in tobacco up until the dawn of the bulk barn.
With Liggett and American in town, they donated lots of stuff, including a
cigarette machine. The old homeplace is restored as well as the original
factory Duke began processing in. They actually put on live harvesting demos
once during the summer. At that time they also get a few retired buyers and
auctioneers to come auction of some piles. I think they have audio
recordings of Mac Burnett ( I think that was his name). He was supposedly
one of the fastest auctioneers ever. Also they have a screening room where
they show some movies on tobacco farming. Can't remember if these are the
ones Liggett made back in the '40's or not. I think there may be another
museum down in Wilson.

I've heard daddy talk of limo's the head buyers were chauffeured in. Must
have been a sight to see one of them way out in the middle of no where!

John