[AT] Grain Augers

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 20:17:37 PST 2011

When I was in college, I had to take an ag engineering class for my major.  It was a pretty interesting course, at least the lab was.  We spent a lot of time in class learning welding symbols and a lot of theory about metalurgy, etc. that you would never, ever, EVER use in a high school classroom.  Come to find out, the instructor had worked for Long at some point.  I must say my confidence in his abilities plummeted when I heard that.....He must've been a pretty competent ag engineer though to have sense enough to quit them!

They sold a lot of grain bins and related equipment here.  I guess it's hard to screw up a grain bin. Again their augers were pretty rube goldberg.

Long built some tractors too.  My dad likes to talk about the neighbor that said it would be a LONG time before he was dumb enough to buy another LONG!

al