[AT] Grain Augers

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Dec 29 16:38:12 PST 2011

Al,

Our experience with a LONG baler in the 1950's was very similar.  We had "The Long
Engineers" out to our place a couple times trying to figure out what was wrong with our
baler. They never did fix it. I wasn't very old at the time but between some choice words
my father had about their competence and my observation of their diagnostic approach, the
conclusion reached was they really were not engineers that had graduated from any college.
Much later on in my career I coined a term for this type of engineer: "Kaleidoscope
Engineers". Keep tweaking the design until it did what it was supposed to at least one
time. No real theory underpinning, No worst case design analysis and no real margin for
component manufacturing tolerances.  I wasn't around the farm much after the 50's but I
did get exposed later on to some of Long's products occasionally.  Their designs usually
were not very impressive. Their sales prices must have been quite a bit less expensive
than their competition.  I haven't thought about that stinking POS LONG baler in years but
it must have left a permanent negative mark on my memory.  We also had a chain/blade
elevator made by Sears (A Sears trade name which I cannot remember right now) that also
was a complete POS. Usually my father selected pretty good stuff but the Long Baler and
the Sears elevator were the worst designed things I ever saw on our farm. Both had a
tendency to break at the most critical of times creating a crisis of some kind that
usually ended up being blamed on me for some convenient reason. I guess I was the path of
least resistance!  :-)  In 1962 when my father's farm equipment was auctioned off,
needless to say neither item even received a bid. If I had had my way, they both would
have gone directly to melt down heaven.

Dean VP
Apache Junction, AZ

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will
lose both!"
Benjamin Franklin