[AT] Welders

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Dec 4 17:28:45 PST 2011

Tig makes the cleanest welds, great for the thinnest of materials, but also
good for fairly heavy stuff. You can weld alum, steel, stainless with no
problem. Skilled users can even do cast iron. Biggest drawback is they are
slow, not meant to be used outdoors, and considering it takes both hands and
1 foot to run them, machinery repairs are often difficult unless you are a
gymnast. More than once have I seen 2 guys run the welder--one runs the foot
pedal while the other does the welding. I would think these machines were
the main catalyst to developing auto-darkening helments.

Mig Machines can weld anything  pretty much. They are fast, very production
oriented. They make a mess with splatter balls. I personally think these
take the least skill. A friend of mine has a small one that will do a good
job on sheet metal, don't know if that machine uses a shield gas or not.

Stick probably gives you the widest range of thickness, providing you are
only welding steel. You can buy a pretty good sized machine for not a lot of
money. No tanks of shield gas to deal with, you can weld outside in the
wind, and they don't make much splatter. It does take a bit of practice to
learn though.

John Hall