[AT] Hex bolt removal

jahaze at aol.com jahaze at aol.com
Sun Dec 4 17:30:01 PST 2011

Not really tractor related, but on my western plow, the oil is stored in an aluminum housing that the pump attaches to.  In the bottom of the housing is a drain plug that consists of an indented hex head plug.  The plug is made of steel, and after many years of sitting there, it is fused in place (I bought the plow used).  The inside of the hex head is stripped out, I'm clearly not the first person to try and get it out.  I would like to remove it so I can drain the oil and get out any water that's in it.  The plow has a tendency to freeze up when it gets really cold and I have to heat the housing up with a torch to make it work.  Any ideas?  It's hard to get at and is sticking down about a fraction of an inch from the housing so I can't get pliers or anything else attached to it.  I'm afraid if I were to just drill it out I would never get another one in there.

You help is welcome as always.

Enjoy, Joe

Sent from my iPad