[AT] Hurricane Irene

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Aug 30 04:08:49 PDT 2011

Luckily almost everyone down here who had any corn worth picking has already
picked it.   I hear there was a huge tobacco loss up around Bertie County.
My friend who is married to a big time cotton farmer in eastern Beaufort Co
says they came through the storm ok if the fields will drain out before it
ruins the cotton.   I know a guy that had close to 1000 acres of flat
planted corn blown down just before harvest time a few years back.  I mean
it was as flat on the ground as if you had cut the stalks off just above the
root.  He didn't think he could save it but apparently JD makes some sort of
corn header that is designed to get right down on the ground.  He got nearly
every bit of it up.