[Farmall] Water (or something) in gasoline

Tim Savelle tim.savelle at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 07:01:14 PDT 2011

The tractor has to stay outside because I don't have a shed large enough for
it, but I do keep a custom-fitted cover over it.  I purchase most of my gas
from a local Texaco/Chevron convenience store.  I also purchase some from a
Shell station, again a local convenience store.  All of this gas contains
10% ethanol.

I have tried draining off the bottom of the tank.  It works for a few
minutes, and then water again shows up on the bottom of the bowl.  Once, I
disconnected the fuel line at the carburetor, put a hose on it, opened the
pitcock, and drained the gas into a bucket.  I wanted to see what the gas
looked like flowing into the bowl.  I was cloudy at first, then cleared up,
but then I watched it for a few minutes.  It would run clear, and then a
"puff" of cloudy liquid would appear, and then clear again.  If I turned off
the pitcock and let it sit, the water layer would reappear at the bottom of
the bowl.  This is after I had drained out a couple of gallons of gas, and
it continued until the gas tank was empty.  Twice I've had to completely
drain the tank, and push a towel into the tank to soak up the remaining
water in the depression at the bottom of the tank where the fuel valve/bowl
assembly attached.  This is a replacement gas tank that I got and had
painted by an auto body shop.  There aren't any cracks in the top where
water could get in.  I ordered and use one of the tall vented gas caps to
replace the original for safety reasons.

Nobody is adding water to the tank.

Could the gas I purchase have water in it like this?  Could throwing Stabil
into the gas/ethanol mix cause problems like this?

This has gotten to be such a pain that when I run the tractor weekly, I put
just a little gas in the tank, drive it around enough to get it hot, and
then drain the tank and fuel line.  I'm at a loss to know what's causing
this and what to do about it.

Thanks for the reply, Barney.  Any additional thoughts or questions?
Anyone?