[AT] Battery Cable Lug question

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Aug 11 12:21:34 PDT 2011

jahaze at aol.com wrote:

> I will describe this the best way I can.  On my winch there is a
> copper bolt that attaches to the positive battery cable on the
> outside of a plastic housing.  The bolt goes through the houseing and
> has another cable attached on the inside that connects to the
> solinoid.  I am trying to add another cable to the ouside of the
> housing so I have a power supply from both an on-board battery, and
> from some quick disconnect cables attached to my truck battery.
>
> My problem is the lug does not extend far enough outside the plastic
> housing for me to attach two cables to it.  I was trying to find a
> longer copper (brass?) bolt and have been unsuccessful.  I was told
> by the hardware store that any old bolt would work, as long as it was
> long enough.  Will a grade 5 bolt transmit electricity as well as a
> copper bolt?  Or should I continue my quest for a longer copper bolt?
> Any thoughts you can give me would be great.  What I was looking for
> was a 2" copper bolt to use in place of the 1 1/2" bolt on there now.
>

> Enjoy, Joe

If you want to stay with a brass bolt hit a starter/generator repair
shop or an industrial electric supply store and bring the one your
replacing.

plain steel will work BUT many hardware store bolts are plated with a
thin wash plating to slow rusting. That could cause a problem due to the
high current draw of the winch.

--
Steve W.