[Farmall] Gas tank residue

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Mon Aug 29 10:38:13 PDT 2011

On 8/29/2011 10:20 AM, Barney Van De Weert wrote:
> I'd say it used to be Gas and you have whats left after the volitale stuff evaporates.
>

> Barney Van De Weert

Ran across the problem frequently eons ago in a motorcycle shop where we
bought, repaired and sold motorcycles from individuals and other
dealers.  As Barney noted, it sounds like you have dried out gasoline.
We used to remove the tank, pour some lacquer thinner (toluene) in it to
soak overnight or longer.  Then we would insert broken rocks or a chain
(trickier - some kinds could knot or bunch and seemed harder to remove
through the gas cap opening) and tumble the tank.  I seem to recall
reading on the main list that some rig up a way to bungee or rope down a
tank to the center of a tractor wheel and rotate the tank with a chain
inside by driving the tractor around, but I have never tried this.
Seems I recall that this thinner dissolves or swells some kinds of
gaskets, plastics (and clothing) and that we remove attached valves from
tanks (replacing with plugs) for this reason during cleaning.  Be
careful with toluene - wear appropriate goggles and avoid wetting your
skin with it or breathing the vapors, as it is not as harmless as it may
first seem.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas