[Farmall] Super C Problem

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Fri Aug 26 13:45:48 PDT 2011

There is more than one grade of steel wool. What is used in the filters is
almost more of a stainless steel sort of a compound which is thicker than
the cheap pads of steel wool in the grocery aisle - look for the thicker
material if possible. But there is another reason not to use plastic in an
oil bath oil filter. The filter works because the oil sticks to the metal
parts of the filter and any particles in the air get trapped by the oil,
then making the oil heavier so it drips back to the bottom of the pan. The
oil in turn is picked up by the rushing air and re-trapped by the metal in a
sense. The key in the system is not exceeding the capacity of the oil in the
pan to essentially turn the dust from the air into sediment in the bowl....
     It is an unbelievably elegant system, designed around the materials
readily available in the 1920's and onward. So my take on this is don't make
it more complicated than it should be with the old materials.... By the way,
I find that the bumpier the conditions of operation in the field, the higher
the capacity of an oil bath filter to work efficiently. But then we are
using all of our operational tractors for work on the farm operation.
          Grant Brians
          Hollister,California vegetable, nuts and fruit farmer