[Farmall] [Bulk (7.05) ] Re: Super C Problem

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 26 06:32:55 PDT 2011

Ben, I am not a mechanic and only found out about the steel wool from
postings on this list in past years.  My supposition that IH considered the
steel wool as an integral or "permanent" part of the air cleaner body comes
from looking at the parts lists and exploded diagrams.  I agree with your
ideas on working vs. show usage.  That 60 hour cleaning schedule would have
been for a tractor being used in dusty, dirty field operations.  Most of us
today just need to keep clean oil in the oil cup.  As far as the actual need
to take it apart, I wouldn't fix anything that ain't broke.  The air cleaner
is just another possibility to check if you are getting poor performance and
the recommended cleaning would be the first step.  As with your small
engines, a clogged air filter can cause what seems like fuel problems.

Bill