[AT] Custom Flatbed

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Aug 15 12:02:34 PDT 2011

jahaze at aol.com wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for your suggestions.  I was out yesterday
> and just had a chance to read them this morning.  I can't remember
> all the questions, but I do not plan on using it to haul hay so that
> eliminates one of the potential uses.  It will have a flip down
> gooseneck hitch.  I have one on the truck now and he will use the
> same system, in fact he's going to build the bed around it.  I like
> the idea of lights in the headache rack, but I think I will try to
> install somethng that can be turned off and on via switch in the cab.
> It would be nice to check on loads every now and then (or have some
> more light when strapping something down.  The builder indicated that
> the biggest problem with multiple lights is you will get a ticket if
> they don't work, even if they are more decorative than required by
> law.  Does anyone know if this is true?  I know side marker lights
> are not required on a truck, but could I really get a ticket if it
> doesn't work?  Seems rather over the top,! but I suppose anything is
> possible.

Yes that is true. BUT I don't think I have ever seen it happen. unless
the trooper is being a prick. Most don't even ask.
Now if you have vehicle inspections or a DOT requirement then I would
make sure they work.

However the extra lights are worth the aggravation. I added a set of
lights to light up the rear/sides under the truck, they help a LOT when
your backing into a tight spot because it lights up the area that
back-ups don't hit. Also have a set on the rack that work for both
back-up and switched (just add a relay to allow that) The switch is
lighted so that you don't leave them on. I also used a trick that is
used on fire vehicles, I added switches inside the tool boxes that light
a red light on the dash. It lights up when you turn on the key and have
a door open. Helps prevent you from tearing a lid off.

> He gave me the option of using Imron paint, if it was yours, would it
> be worth an extra $100 to use that over flat black? It's not a show
> truck, but I wonder if the Imron would hold up better?  What do you
> think?

Imron will hold up FAR better than normal paints.

--
Steve W.