[Ford-ferguson] PTO Question

Phillip Dilley p.a.dilley00 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 05:03:08 PDT 2011

I recently bought an F40 and am trying to use it to run a finishing
mower.  I'm having trouble with the PTO.  It will only go into the Grd
position which makes me fly around rather quickly but not do such a
good job mowing.  When I try to put the PTO into the Eng position it
only grinds.  I can't even get it into that position stopped.

The only other thing that seems odd to me is my faint memory of the
TO20 that we had when I was a kid is that the F40's clutch petal
doesn't want to go all the way down to the step plate, it stops about
half way.  I seem to remember that our TO20 went all the way down to
the step plate.  My memory may just be wrong on that, it's been a long
time.

Does anyone have an idea as to how this is suppose to work and what
the problem might be and how to fix it most of all?

Thanks

Phil