[Farmall] Super C Problem

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 05:48:05 PDT 2011

I know Super C engines use the same C-123 that the late Super A does, which
isn't too much different from my C-113 in the A.  My C-113 A did the same
trick a few weeks ago, and a very knowledgeable person on the AT ATIS list
mentioned that spark plugs can contribute.  If you have old plugs, Autolite
especially, pull them out and try Champion D-21 plugs.  D-21 burns hotter
and provides better combustion.

However, in my very humble opinion, I think that those recommending fuel
blockage are close.  My Super A was blocked by remnants of gas tank sealer
that worked loose.

1.  Check the inside fuel tank.  Like Barney, said, it could be covering the
outlet up but disappearing after the suction is over, so if you see anything
floating be suspicious!

2.  Check inside the gas line.  Blow air through it; even if you get air out
the other end, I'd push a soft wire through the line.  I used a soft gun
barrel brush, no the copper type but the cotton brush.  If it's the rubber
type, it wouldn't hurt to replace it.  The new gas dissolves rubber lines,
starving the engine (air in the line) or clogging the carb.  The dissolved
rubber line happened on a lawnmower I was working on; the engine acted like
it had no fuel.  The line was cracked, but when I replaced the line it still
ran poorly.  Turns out, a little chunk of rubber corked the way into the
inlet.

3.  Check the needle/seat/inlet valve in the carb where the gas line
connects to the carb.  There is an elbow that catches all kinds of junk.  My
favorite was a shred of paint that clogged the inlet of the seat.  I
couldn't tell (usually when the seat is glogged the carb floods) but when I
unscrewed the inlet I found the problem!  But if your carb is clean, go up
from there; inlet, fuel line, inside fuel tank.

Ben Wagner