[Farmall] Fwd: [SEL] OT IH M tractor question for a friend

Stan Bass srbheadlight at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 09:59:26 PDT 2011

Dave,
I'm away from my parts books at the moment, but the answer depends on the year of the donor tractor. There was a change (in I believe 1951) that widened out the bolt spacing in the front cover for the distributor drive and added a beefier version of the cam gear in anticipation of the live pump. If the spare motor is before that serial number break you have to pull the crank pulley and transfer the front cover and beefier cam gear from the original Super M motor in order to use the live pump. I think he could tell by simply measuring the spacing between the top two bolts on his hyd pump (to the engine front cover) and compare to the top two bolts in the distributor drive on the replacement motor. Don't quote me on this but guessing about 1/2" difference in the two measurements? Some have gotten away with leaving the original cam gear, but you run the risk of stripping it if you ever build up too much pressure.
HTH,
Stan(VA).